Cannabidiol or CBD for short, is extracted from a cannabis plant and is a type of cannabinoid. Cannabinoid refers to those chemicals that are naturally found in the marijuana plant.
6 Benefits of Cannabidiol Oil
1. Relieves AnxietyCBD can be used to relieve anxiety. Researchers believe that CBD affects the way our brain’s chemical receptors response to serotonin (a chemical associated with mental health). Receptors refer to protein molecules binds to cells that receive chemical messages and encourage your cells to respond to different stimuli. According to a certain study, a 600 mg dose of CBD can help those with social anxiety give a speech. According to early studies done with animals, CBD can relieve anxiety by:
- Decreasing physiological effects of anxiety
- Reducing stress
- Inducing sleep in cases of insomnia
- Decreasing physiological symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
2. Anti-seizureThe possibility of using CBD to treat epilepsy has been studied in recent years but the research is still in its early stages. Researchers are trying to find out the amount of CBD that can reduce the number of seizures in those with epilepsy and how safe CBD is. A certain study conducted in 2016 worked with 214 people with epilepsy. Those who took part in the study added oral doses of 2-5 mg of CBD daily to their anti-epilepsy medications. The researchers who were conducting the study monitored those who took part in the study for 12 weeks and recorded any negative side effects and checked the frequency of the seizures of those who participated. The researchers found out that 12% of the participants had been severely affected.
3. NeuroprotectiveResearchers are studying a receptor in the brain to find out how CBD can help those with neurodegenerative disorders, diseases that make the brain and nerves to lose function over time and ultimately die. This receptor is called CB1. Researchers are studying the possibility of using CBD oil for treating:
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease.
4. Relieves PainAccording to some studies, cannabis can provide certain benefits when they are taken after chemotherapy treatments. The National Institutes of Health has sponsored pre-clinical studies that are studying how cannabis relives symptoms caused by:
- Chronic pain
- Spinal Cord injuries
- MS pain
- Muscle pain.